Wednesday 30 March 2011

If you are sick to death of my Doves look away now!

I brought Pinky home yesterday.  It was bittersweet because Perky is still too poorly so stayed in his brooder at The Haven.  The poor little fella really has lost weight and does not look at all well.  If he recovers it might be that he will always be a weak sickly bird and have to stay at The Haven.  He needs the remains of the last feed syringed out of his crop before every feed and really isn't absorbing his food well at all.  I know he is in the best place, if he can be fixed anywhere he will be fixed there but it did seem sad bringing Pinky home alone.

Anyway, on a brighter note Pinky is home.  She has a cage which I have put here in my study because I spend a lot of time in here and seems very at home tramping all over my desk.  She has already pooped over just about everything including me (several times)  in fact the first time she even went on my desk she managed to poop on the keyboard AND spill her seed all over it.  Mr Houseproud Hairy Hubby is blissfully ignorant of this so far and long may it continue.  As I am typing Pinky has discovered the moving cursor and is pecking at it!  She pecks at everything.  And poops on everything, I have never known anything to produce so much of the stuff.  Honestly, four times in half an hour!

Action Dog is far too interested in Pinky and I am having to hold her while she sniffs at her incase she gets too rough.  She spent most of last night standing on two legs trying to get a better look into the cage.  I am trying to be very careful to fuss both of them so Action Dog does not get her nose put out of joint.  Mind you it has been pecked a couple of times!  Feeding Pinky is a doddle although I have realised I am going to have to show The Hairy One how to do it when I am at The Haven on a Tuesday.  He will have to give her her lunch.  That's another thing he is so far blissfully unaware of! 

The older doves Mr and Mrs Lovey-Dovey are hanging round the garden much more these past few days.  They spend a lot of time on the bird table scaring off the blackbirds and also on the roof pooping all over the path.  I am hoping that maybe the change of behaviour spending more time close to the Dovecote means they will nest soon.

I have a poor little injured Pheasant visiting first thing in the morning and last thing at night.  She has a nasty limp, it looks really painful and reminds me of Hoppy last year.  I have named her Peggy.  I make sure I don't go outside and disturb her when she is feeding because it takes her so much effort just to get accross the lawn to the feeders it would be horrible if she didn't get her breakfast.  I know I wouldn't stand a chance of catching her, those birds move like lightening even with a limp!  I really hope that her foot will get better on it's own like Hoppy's did last year.  From what I remember his seemed even worse so I feel there is hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment