Monday 14 March 2011

Let Migration Begin!

I spotted my first Chiffchaff of the year in the garden today.  I almost said 'had' but after confusing someone recently by using the 'correct birding term' I thought I had better stick to plain English in case they thought I had eaten it, or worse!  It was hopping about merrily in my big Sycamore tree, I thought I was seeing things at first so grabbed my bins (which live on the kitchen window ledge and now smell of sausage sarnies courtesy of HH) to confirm the sighting.  I knew if I tried to run outside and listen for it singing it would have it away on it's toes (or wings) so I wasn't able to hear it which was a shame. 

Flushed with early migrant success I decided to go mad, blitz the diesel and go to Winterton on a migrant hunt.  Naturally there was naff all there but it was nice to hear some Dunnocks singing and spot a few Gannets out at sea.  It was also nice to wander around with my scope and feel like a proper birder again.  This fuel saving lark is starting to affect my sanity.  Hopefully my new car will be ready soon with her supadupa fuel saving engine.  Or so I am told.  She looks very pretty though so if nothing else I will have a decent looking car again instead of driving about in a grubby white skip like I have done for the past year since my car was stolen.

The Sparrowhawk visited us again today.  I was watching the Doves out of the window when they suddenly flew off in a mad panic along with everything else in the garden.  The Sprawk came down just outside the garden behind a blackberry bush, I don't know if it caught anything but there were no feathers.  The main thing is that it seems my birds have become a bit more Sstreetwise.  Or Sprawkwise if you like.  Later in the day they had only just flown in for lunch when they flew off in panic again.  I couldn't see what had put them up but obviously something spooked them.  I am currently waiting for The Hairy One to make a Sprawk proof bird table (basically a box on a stick) but he has been so engrossed in Chicken coop making that he has had no time.  Today he had a rest from the coop and worked on my new car trying to find somewhere to fit some electric power steering.  Personally I'd have rather delayed the car for a day and got my Doves sorted but it's not wise to push your luck with these matters.  They really do need some where else for their food though because Sprawks apart the blasted Pheasants have found how to jump up onto the box we put their food on and are stripping it bare as if they were half starved, which is what my Doves will be in the morning  when they come out to find there is no breakfast left.

Dinner thiefs!

1 comment:

  1. I can't beleave it? you don't have House or Tree Sparrow on you garden list.

    ReplyDelete