Wednesday 23 March 2011

On a beautiful Spring day

What a gorgeous spring day it was today, I was so happy to throw open all the windows and get some washing on the line.  As they say simple things please simple minds!  I was also really happy to spot my first Jay of the year in the garden today.  I love Jay's, they are such bright birds both in plumage and in character.  Last summer I used to put food on the lawn and watch the Jays come in and take it.  They would only take one piece at a time, then fly back to the trees and keep repeating it back and forwards till all the food was gone.  I also saw a Stoat running across at the back which I wasn't so happy about because I think they might go after my chickens when I get them.  Funny how keeping birds makes you look at other creatures in a different way.  Squirrels and Pheasants were very welcome in the garden at first, now I just see them as dinner thieves!

I walked down to the Broad to take some pictures today and was gobsmacked to see how many people had gone down to feed the ducks and then left the empty bread bag there.  Some people are so stupid, don't they realise that the bread bag they leave behind could kill the very same creatures they took the bread for?  I suppose it would help if the council would provide a bin but to be honest how hard is it to stuff an empty bread bag in your pocket and take it home?  I came home with several in my back pocket today.  The old granny's who were sitting on the bench looked at me like I was nuts picking up other peoples rubbish but there was no way I was leaving it there.  Personally I think they were nuts to just sit there and leave all that plastic lying about. If I'd had a bin liner with me I could have picked up tons more rubbish.  Maybe I will go back tomorrow and take one with me.  That should get me some funny looks!  Perhaps I should put on a high vis vest to make myself look official, it's common knowledge that you become invisible when wearing a high vis vest or jacket!


"Got any bread?"


I had a walk around Winterton again today.  It was fruitless again but the sea was wonderful to see.  It was as calm as a millpond, barely a wave in sight.  The sky was azure blue fading into a misty pink on the horizon.  I don't know what caused that but it was quite lovely.  Out at sea every bird was highly visible.  There weren't many of them but they really stood out against the flat sea.  You could almost see the ripples coming away from them.  I looked for Porpoise but all I could find were a couple of seals.

Barely a ripple


Other highlights of the day included :

A Chinese Water Deer in the Blackcurrant field, the first I have seen out there.
Heard my first Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming of the year.

1 comment:

  1. maybe you should get on to the csl to put some bins down there

    ReplyDelete