Friday 18 March 2011

Introducing Charlie the Chook

Meet Charlie.  Charlie appeared down at the Broad a few weeks ago.  No one knows how he got there although a lady told me he had originally been with some other Chickens, from the sound of it there were three hens and another cockerel.  It can only be assumed they had been dumped there by someone who couldn't be bothered to look after them any more.  The lady I spoke to said that the others had disappeared one by one.  Whether they were eaten by foxes of taken home by kind souls we will never know.  All I know is that poor old Charlie remains there all alone.  Well not actually all alone because there are loads of waterfowl there to keep him company and there people are always down there feeding the ducks so Charlie won't be going hungry in a hurry.  He comes right up to me if I am down there without Action Dog.  None of the birds like her, they all run away if she gets too close. 

I'm sure if I knew what I was doing I could grab him and bring him home to live safely in the garden.  The question is would he stay or would he run off down the road to get back to his duck and geese friends, risking getting splatted by the traffic on the way?  I can't bring him home till I get the Hen House finished anyway.  Also I want my hens to lay eggs and not go broody which they may do if they have a man about the house.   Not sure I fancy him waking me up at dawn hollering his lungs out either.  Oh decisions decisions!


What a fine boy he is!

The Doves have refused point blank to use their box feeder again today, preferring to use the Bird Table instead, which is fine but leaves them open to Sparrowhawk attacks.  The idea of a box feeder is that they are protected on three sides while they are feeding.  Also they like to sit and contemplate the world from the bird table which keeps the other birds from using it which is not either.


I sneaked another one in....


No comments:

Post a Comment