Saturday 5 March 2011

Woeful tales

I'm starting to feel sorry for anyone reading this.  Honestly I am even depressing myself by writing it.  Just as well I don't have hundreds of followers or there might be mass suicides across the country.  I am sure there will be some good news soon, after all Spring migration is coming so who knows what will appear in my garden.  But until then here is some more doom and gloom.

On Thursday I went out to only three dove.  You may remember that on Tuesday I had lost one to a Sparrowhawk.  The white feathers are still piled up by the fence, I just can't bring myself to pick them up.  Anyway I don't have a clue what happened to Thursdays missing bird.  Maybe he went off with the racers to join his friends, maybe the Sprawk got him in the woods I will never know.  This left me with the Little Mummy on her egg and a pair who I believe are the pair who had the baby who died.  See you are crying already aren't you?

On Friday I went out and found the little Mummy gone and her egg cold.  Are you calling The Samaritans yet?  I would  be.  Again I don't know what happened.  Maybe she decided her egg was no good and went off to look for her mate. 

So all I have left now are the mated pair.  Good enough to carry on with, many people start with just one pair and let the dovecote fill naturally.  If I can hang onto them that will be fine.  You can sense my pessimism can't you?  I had such great hopes of having a lovely flock of white doves in the garden but right now I feel like a mass murderer.  The pair seem happy and settled, I just hope the Sprawk leaves them alone.

Pinky and Perky the little babies are doing ok at The Haven although Perky still has wind in his crop and is not digesting his food properly.  He has been put on antibiotics so fingers crossed it will do the trick.

Anyone who has been affected by issues raised in this blog can talk to The Samaritans in confidence.  Call them on 08457 90 90 90. 

No comments:

Post a Comment