Thursday 17 March 2011

Rampaging Pheasants

I knew my Niger Seed feeder was going to be a waste of money when I bought it.  I really should have listened to myself but I never usually do so I thought why start now.  This is the third one I have bought but the first for this garden, I had hoped that as this garden actually has birds in it something might be attracted by some lovely expensive Niger Seed.  It was someones Twitter entry that started it, saying all about the Redpolls on the feeders.  I don't have Redpolls but I did have a Goldfinch a couple of weeks ago and have the occasional Goldcrest in the woods over the fence.  So stupid me thought 'Oh it's only 99p in Lathams let's give it a go'  Of course then I had to buy seed, which isn't cheap.  Why don't they do trial size bags of the stuff so that when you find out nothing wants to eat it you have only wasted 50p not about three quid.  Maybe the birds don't like the fact that the feeder is purple, I have to admit that even though it's a lovely shade I am not too keen on it myself but at 99p who was I to argue?  Actually I never understand how the birds are meant to hang on to Niger feeders, they don't have perches, just tiny slits for the seed to come out.  Not much for the birds to aim at really.  Maybe that's why they never eat from them!

Looking out of my window there are currently six Pheasants rampaging round the garden.  Pillaging and plundering anything they can find to eat.  Looks like the poor Doves will have no breakfast again once this mob have cleaned up and moved off.  Mind you it's their own silly fault, they have lots of lovely Pigeon Conditioner seed out for them in their new recycling box Dove feeder (Hairy Hubby's new patent design) but they choose to ignore it.  I have been down there rattling the seed bowl and let them see me put food in there.  I have even put some tasty morsels of bread and fat ball around the seed dish to tempt them.  I have to add that the seed dish is BRIGHT RED and hard for them to miss.  I can only assume that they are ignoring out out of pure bloody mindedness.  Honestly though, those Pheasants are like garden hoovers, they walk around sucking up anything and everything.  I have lost count of how many times I have thrown the window open today and hurled abuse at them, clapping my hands to shoo them off the Doves food.  I wouldn't mind but I put seed out specially for them to keep them away from the Doves'.  I bet they would eat the Niger Seed if they could get to it!

2 comments:

  1. I have a cheap lantern shaped feeder for niger with a perch around the bottom. It works really well. Mine is mostly eaten by siskins but the goldfinches take it as well when the sunflower heart feeder is empty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. why dont you get a 'dove' table and put it right next to the cot, that way the scavangers cant get to it.

    ReplyDelete