Tuesday 15 March 2011

A few snippets

A few snippets of news today.  I saw a Waxwing on my way to The Haven today.  I was driving along in a little world of my own and happened to look up at a telegraph wire and thought 'Blimey, you can't mistake that silhouette'  So that made me happy, a good start to the day despite it being murky and foggy.  It was pretty naff all day really, even when I was driving home it was still misty. 



I got to play with my babies again today.  They are starting to look like birds now instead of little dinosaurs.  Pinky in particular has lots of feathers, especially on her wings and breast.  There is still a lot of pink skin showing but she really looks like a little white dove now.  While I was there they had colour rings fitted so that when they are all grown up we know who is who.  Pinky has a red one and Perky has a green one.  They didn't seem bothered by having them.  In fact Pinky was more interested in preening her new feathers.  I was also able to feed them again, which I do love doing.  They are so greedy, even when they are full they still shout for more and peck at your hands.

The big doves now have a new temporary feeding box.  It's a recycling box on it's side nailed to a stake, a proper Hairy Hubby special!  Hopefully they will get the hang of using it but at the moment they are paying it no attention at all.  It will keep those greedy guts Pheasants off the food and also keep the Sprawk off the Doves and the rain off the food.  I wonder how long before that dratted Butterfly Squirrel finds it!

No comments:

Post a Comment