Monday 21 March 2011

The Totem Pole, Winterton

I went for a stroll around Winterton Dunes today, hoping to find some early migrants, maybe perhaps a Wheatear.  Sadly there was absolutely naff all there apart from a few Skylarks who were singing their lungs out but nowhere to be seen!  There were barely even any dog walkers which for Winterton is a miracle.  At least it enabled me to blow the dust off my scope and get some exercise.  Mind you there was no point in taking my scope because I didn't even need to set it up.  It just acted as a bit of weight training to build up my post-winter fitness levels.  

I did however use my camera.  Not a stunningly beautiful photo but something I find interesting all the same. 



In birding circles this is known as 'The Totem Pole'.  It is used as a point of reference when reporting bird sightings.  For example 'West of the Totem Pole'.  It just gives people a bit of idea where to start looking.  I was lucky enough to be told about this by a local birder when I first moved here or I would have found it very confusing!

The guy who told me about 'The Totem Pole' also told me a bit about it's history.  He said that during WW2 it was used as a listening post.  Basically some poor sod had to climb to the top of it and listen out for enemy aircraft approaching the coast.  I imagine the post may have been taller then, it looks like it has been cut down at an angle at the top, I don't know this for sure however, it's just my personal thought.  Can you imagine climbing to the top of a wooden post in the middle of the night to listen for the enemy, with the wind whistling round your ears?  Not an appealing thought at all!  There were some very brave people about in those days.

I have tried to research on the Internet to find out more about this 'listening post' but have drawn a blank.  There seems to be no information out there at all which is a shame.  There is other information about defenses in the area like pillboxes and tank defenses but nothing about this.  I would love to hear from anyone who can tell me more.

No comments:

Post a Comment