Tuesday 1 March 2011

Birdy frustrations

I got up this morning to find only four Doves and a pile of white feathers.  I love Sparrowhawks but not when they do things like this.  I know they have to kill to eat and it's just nature but I do wish they wouldn't do it in my garden and especially with my Doves!  Four seems a fragile number, not like a proper flock and I am worried about them now.  They didn't look phased by it at all though, there were three of them sitting on the ground waiting for breakfast when I got up this morning. 

Naturally there was no see left this morning because the dratted Pheasants had scoffed the lot last night.  Honestly they come along and hoover up every last grain, it looks like a load of mice milling about down there, especially now we have so many females visiting.  There were about ten last night.  Hairy Hubby reckons we should ask the gamekeeper for some of their seed to supplement what we are paying out for!  We have been told that she is collecting them all in to put in pens ready for breeding, maybe she would like to put one or the traps in our garden because most of the birds seem to be in there!

I saw Pinky and Perky today.  They have really grown and have pin feathers coming all over them.  I was able to hold them and they pecked my hands and face looking for food.  The smallest one had wind in his crop which isn't good.  It's not clear how it happened but it's unusual for such a young bird.  He is being fed Molasses today which apparently helps disperse it otherwise (this makes me cringe) they may have to put a pin in his crop and let the air out.  This is drastic for such a tiny one so I hope it does not come to that.  The main thing is that I know they are in the best place being looked after by someone who knows what they are doing.

On the way home I spotted what I am sure are my missing birds.  There are some racing pigeons not too far from here, I had not noticed them before but they have no doubt always been there.  I have seen several white doves flying with them for the past few days so I am pretty sure its my deserters.  The ungrateful lot, I fed and cared for them for six whole weeks and as soon as they got the chance they naffed off to live with someone else.  I wonder if the other owner is letting them in the pigeon shed at night or if they are content to sit on the roof.  They will be sorry when they find out I have just brought home some supadupa Pigeon conditioner seed with added aniseed.  A totally luxury seed for pampered birds.  Oh yes they will rue the day they ran away from home when they find out what their friends are having for breakfast!

It's getting dark now and I am looking down at my Dovecote with pride, knowing my four remaining doves are tucked up safely in their beds.  Meanwhile underneath the Pheasants are scoffing all the supadupa seed I had put down for their breakfast.  I can't win!

No comments:

Post a Comment