Sunday 26 June 2011

Have I cracked it?

I had a shock waiting for me when I tucked my chooks up into bed the night before last.  Snowdrop's rabbit hutch was empty.  I momentarily panicked, where was she?  Had she gone off somewhere and got lost?  Had she been spirited away by a rustler?  After panic came logic.  I had a spark of an idea.  But surely not!  I tentatively opened the door of the big chicken coop and there she was.  Sitting happy as you like snuggled in with the other girls!  Honestly you could have knocked me down with a feather.  I was so happy it was like my prayers had been answered.  Little Snowdrop felt able to join in with the others again.  I had been thinking for a week or so now that maybe it might be a good time to try her back with the other girls but wasn't sure how to go about it.  Thankfully my little darling had made the choice for me.

Last night I sat out and watched as they started their bedtime preparations.  It's quite nice sitting in the garden in the evening with a can of cider and some incense burning.  Smothered in insect repellant naturally!  Rosie and Ivy went up the ladder first.  Blossom went up, came back down and faffed about as is her usual habit.  Snow drop sat mournfully by the closed door of her rabbit hutch looking very put out.  Occasionally she wandered up and down the length of her little home looking for a way in.  Me and my can of Strongbow felt very sorry for her and more than a little bit guilty.  Blossom went up again and stayed there.  Snowdrop stood up and toddled over to the ladder.  Would she or wouldn't she.  Primrose was feigning sleep so was not intimidating her which was good.  Finally after a tense five minutes Snowdrop climbed the ladder up to bed with the others.  This seemed to wake Primrose who followed up behind her.  My cup runneth over.  Have I cracked it?  I will see in a little while when I go to tuck them in for the night.  I do hope I will not be playing 'Hunt the Snowdrop' by torchlight later on this evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment