Monday 20 June 2011

Not eggsactly what I had hoped for

The news isn't good.  Esme Lovey-Dovey has spent most of the day off her nest.  The egg isn't going to hatch.  I can't blame her not sitting there any longer, she has devoted several weeks of patient attention to her little egg, she must be sick and tired of sitting in that hole all alone.  I know that Harry is a new man since she came out.  He is with her all the time giving her love and attention.  He hasn't sat with the others at all today.  He must have been very lonely with Esme out of action.  Mind you I imagine thats the same excuse a lot of men use when they eye up other girls!  I am disappointed though, I had been hoping a new life would begin in my garden.  It would be nice to see my birds successfully raise a chick and see it fledge and grow up.  Other people have a problem with overbreeding, I just can't get the little rotters to hatch anything.  I have started to wonder whether they inbred too much at their old home.  It was a large flock but you could see the potential for a bit of incestuous behaviour.  Maybe that's why dear little Perky was a sickly lad.  

My little flock of chooks seem to be pulling together more as a group.  Snowdrop is hanging out with the others much more regularly.  I am hoping that maybe next week I will start popping her in to sleep with the others once it's dark.  I'd like her to get used to sleeping with them before winter sets in, I think she will be cold in her rabbit hutch all alone.  Primrose and Rosie do still have a peck at her every now and again but it's not bullying like it was, it's more keeping order.  They do it to Blossom too.  Mind you so does Snowdrop! 

 The Hairy One is on about getting some more birds from one of his customers.  As much as I would like more I still have reservations.  It's me who has to deal with the chaos not him.  He says I am too softhearted, which is probably true but these chooks do have a mind of their own and you have to account for that.  Probably this time next week I will be posting pics of my new birds, I usually cave in and do what he wants.  Plus it's ever so tempting!  

Here come the girls...a purely gratuitous chook pic!



No comments:

Post a Comment