Saturday 18 June 2011

Two dramas in one day!

It's been quite a day today.  It started with our Grandaughter shouting that Action Dog had run off into the woods.  What she didn't mention right away was that she was chasing Blossom the new white chicken.  We managed to call Action Dog back but there was no sign of poor Blossom who appeared to have run off into the woods in panic.  I found out later that the kids had been following her round the garden trying to stroke her so probably when Action Dog decided to chase her it was the final straw and she ran like the wind.

We searched everywhere but couldn't find her despite the fact that she is very large and pure white.  I kept worrying that she would have run right into the depths of the forest and never find her way home.  We warned Farmer Dan and The Gamekeeper to look out for her and went out for an hour to get some shopping.

When we came home she still had not come back in the garden.  In my typical daft style I started asking the other chooks 'Where's Blossom?'  As soon as she heard my voice the one and only Blossom came running at top speed out of the undergrowth and up to the little bit of fence behind the Chicken Housing Estate.  I was so pleased not only to get her back but also to know that she knew my voice and even though she runs away from me obviously knew I meant safety and home.  It took a few more minutes and a jug full of corn to show her the way back into the garden but thank heavens she is now home and safe.

We thought that was enough drama for one day but no, The Chooks had other ideas.  After a very heavy shower which sent them all running for cover little Snowdrop was nowhere to be found.   We were all searching the garden but she was nowhere to be seen.  Only in this house could two chooks go missing in one day!  In a flash of inspiration I thought 'surely she can't have got stuck behind my butler sinks?'  I have four butler sinks on my patio with herbs growing in them.  When we first got the chooks Rosie tried to get behind them and got into a pickle and had to be rescued.  As I approached, calling Snowdrop's name I heard some quiet clucking.  It sounded so pathetic I knew it had to be her.  She has a very sweet pathetic little voice and I always know it's her behind me when I hear it.  Sure enough the soppy bird had managed to get herself well and truly wedged behind a butler sink.  She is the only one who is small enough to fit in there.  I can only think she dived in there in panic with the rain.  This is the first time they have ever seen real rain.  Even using two hands I couldn't prise her out so I had to call Hairy Hubby to sift the sinks to get her out.

She seems fine now but wasn't very happy when I first got her out, she looked very sorry for herself.  I think she had been behind there at least an hour.  I gave her a cuddle and took her over to the food and in true style she scoffed for England!  So now I have to go round checking for all places in the garden where a scared chicken could get stuck.  Honestly I think I have the most complicated, accident prone birds ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment