Monday 13 June 2011

Bed-hopping

I will never understand my chooks.  All this time little Snowdrop has gone to bed in her own private rabbit hutch quarters.  Usually a bit before everyone else.  She just sneaks off quietly and puts herself to bed.  Then the others go up into their penthouse suite together a bit later.

Last night it was pouring with rain.  When I looked out of the window to see how bedtime was proceeding and if it was time for me to go and lock them all in I saw that Snowdrop had as usual put herself to bed but that both Rosie and Ivy were in the outer section of the rabbit hutch des res sheltering from the rain.  This was odd behaviour for a start but to make it even stranger Rosie was peering in at Snowdrop in bed.  Were they jealous of her private little house?  Were they doing it to annoy her?  What would I find when I went to lock them in for the night?

What I found was Snowdrop and Ivy both in Snowdrop's bedroom settled down for the night.  They weren't snuggled up together but they were fairly close cos there isn't that much space in a rabbit hutch.  They looked cosy so I left them to it and shut them away.  I wonder if Rosie would have stayed there too if there had been more room.  I think Ivy outranks Rosie by being Boss Chook Primrose's best friend.  Ivy doesn't chase Snowdrop nowadays, it's only Primrose and Rosie does when she feels like being annoying.  

I'm not sure Snowdrop was too amused about the situation in the morning.  When I went to let them all out Ivy was up and about on the outer part of the hutch (where Snowdrop usually is) but little Snowdrop was still in her bedroom, only coming out when she heard my voice.  I wonder whether Ivy will sleep there again tonight or decide to go back to her friends.  I have visions of going to put them away tonight and finding them all crammed into Snowdrop's little home and Snowdrop either in the corner looking very put out or in the main coop all alone having lost her home.  We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment