Saturday 23 April 2011

Tales of Five Doves

There is lots of Dovey news, so anyone who is a fan of my little white feathered family grab a coffee, sit back and enjoy a catch up.  To anyone not interested in my birds, oh well, never mind!

First off Daisy and May went back to The Haven for a few days on Thursday.  I was having trouble syringe feeding them and it didn't seem fair to keep them here and have to be virtually force feeding them four times a day.  They were just not as easy to feed as Pinky and I am a novice at feeding babies.  It broke my heart to take them back even though I knew they would be coming home again soon but I knew it was for the best.  They had fun here and Pinky really took to them, she was even grooming them, it was very sweet.

Pinky preening Daisy and May and showing how to peck seed

The good news is that very soon after The Girls went back to The Haven they started eating big people seed and are now weaned!  How fantastic is that!  This should mean I can bring them home again on Tuesday when I go there for my regular day's volunteering.  So that will be double trouble flying round my study and pooping everywhere!  Does this look like a face who cares about the poop?  Nah not really!

Pinky has been enjoying spending day times outside in her cage by the Dovecote with view to letting her live out there with Mr and Mrs Lovey-Dovey sometime soon.  She is getting bored in the house and doesn't like being in her cage in the study, you can see she just wants to get out of it!  I know the day will come soon when I have to let her fly free in the garden but it fills me with dread.  I am very attached to my little girl and know I will worry myself stupid about her being out in the big wide garden all alone.  I'm thinking about letting her spend tonight out there in her cage to get used to it even more but then I keep thinking that she has been in her cage all day so she will want to come indoors for a wing stretch.  Oh this is so hard!

Mr and Mrs Lovey-Dovey had a tiff last night.  They were seen sleeping in separate nest holes, obviously all was not well in Dovecote Towers.  We did wonder if Mr Lovey-Dovey had been accused of looking at the gorgeous young Pinky too much and his wife had given him an earful!  They seem to be friends again today so he obviously made it up to her by bringing her nesting sticks or something.  They have been spending a lot of time in the garden up in the Sycamore behind the Dovecote, I don't know what has caused this change in routine but do hope it means impending egg laying!

No comments:

Post a Comment