Friday 15 April 2011

Strumpshaw Fen RSPB

I got up a bit late today, went into the kitchen to get some breakfast, checked my phone and found a text from a friend saying she and her hubby were going to visit Strumpshaw Fen today and would be there in an hours time! Well I wasn't going to pass that one up, I have been hoping to catch up with this particular friend for ages and had never met her hubby, plus I have been meaning to go to Strumpshaw for ages.  

I had a bit of a dash about, gulping down some porridge, forgetting to drink my tea and making a jam roll (healthy eating or what?) for lunch because that's all there was in the house and managed to get there in reasonable time!  We had a great walk round, there was nothing spectacular about, no Ferruginous Duck or Otters but some lovely migrants and a whole bunch of Black Headed Gulls showing off in front of the hide.  It was also the first time I have ever gone all the way round so was also a landmark occasion!

This guy thinks he looks dead hard, shame he looks like a clown really!

Other news.  Pinky is doing well, she has taken over my study and now spends most of her day flying about in there.  I put her away when I go out just in case she gets into trouble and no one can help her but apart from that she seems to enjoy using my dresser as a tree and perching on my monitor.  Oh yes and leaving copious amounts of poop everywhere.  I noticed that she had done one on the chair and that Hairy Hubby had sat on it but I decided that it would be best to keep quiet about that one for diplomatic reasons.  Heaven knows what it will be like when I have the new babies, Daisy and May, flying about.  Double trouble!  Pinky also likes sitting on my shoulder and preening my hair which is really nice except yesterday she managed to stick her beak right down my ear!  Not pleasant at all I can tell you.  Think sticking the cotton bud in too far!  I could still feel it about two hours later.  So now when she preens me or plays with my earrings I put my finger in my ear just in case!

Mr and Mrs Lovey-Dovey in the garden seem very happy.  They have a couple of Collared Doves who come and visit sometimes which is nice.  They have given them the guided tour of the des res bird table which is now basically theirs because not a lot else gets a look in.  They seemed to be nest building earlier in the week but I haven't seen them do that for a while.

Peggy the Pheasant with a sore foot seems to be improving.  I'm glad because she seems to be the favourite of the male bird who is often seen jumping on her back.  I feel quite sorry for her because she can barely support her own weight let alone his hulking great bulk and she is the smallest of the group of females.

I'm still waiting for The Hairy One to get his rear in gear and finish my Chicken House.  There is so little to do now it's really frustrating.  Just a handle to fit, some predator proofing and a bit of sanding.  It's like he has done the bulk of the work and moved onto new things.  New things being some stupid car he is doing up for someone.  I had hoped to get my new Chooks this weekend but that won't be happening now.  Maybe next weekend?

No comments:

Post a Comment