Saturday 9 April 2011

Once Bittern...

I had a lovely walk around a very quiet Hickling NWT yesterday.  It's usually quiet there so I wasn't fussed.  I had really wanted to photograph butterflies but typically I didn't see a single one during the whole hour and a half I was there!  There were Willow Warblers singing their head off on the trail which was lovely, I don't think the novelty of singing Willow Warblers ever really wears off even when you have heard a hundred this year.

The one star bird was my first Bittern of the year.  I always peep round the side of the second hide (whose name escapes me) just incase there is something really nice on the pool.  There never is but it makes me feel like a real birder to do it.  This time I raised my bins to watch a Lapwing and Blackheaded Gull having a disagreement over some food when something caught my eye along the fringe of the reeds.  Oh...my...God..a bittern..and out in the open!  I never see them out in the open.  I have seen loads in flight and half hidden by reeds but never out in the open.  I crept into the hide and carefully opened the flap, praying it wouldn't creak.  Creaky flaps are a speciality at Hicking, it's like they want you to scare the birds off!  Anyway the god of birding was on my side for once because there was no creak and the Bittern was still there, creeping slowly along the fringes, doing his wonderful Bittern walk.  I ran off a few shots, most were rubbish but one was not too bad.

Not the best Bittern shot ever, but its my best (only) one ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment