Thursday 28 April 2011

The Joys of Spring!

I have been so preoccupied with my Doves recently that I have forgotten to mention how lovely it is in the garden now Spring has sprung!  When I was planning to write my last entry I had intended to talk about how I heard my first Cuckoo of the year while standing in the garden with Pinky on my shoulder.  I also forgot to mention what a gorgeous day it was, the sun was shining and the garden seemed full of bees and butterflies.  Today it is overcast out there but the sun is up there, just blocked out by some annoying clouds.  It will return soon.  Oh I just looked out and it is raining!  The first rain in weeks so I will try and look on the bright side and hope it fills my water butts, which are numerous, so that I can water my herbs and seedlings with rainwater and thus avoid the daylight robbery which calls itself my water meter!

When the sun is out, which has been a lot recently the garden really is full of bees and butterflies.  I have been trying to educate the Grandkids that bees are harmless unless you annoy them and that our planet cannot survive without them.  I have explained about pollination in great detail but they still either run away screaming when they see on (which is often as we have tons of them) or try and kill them with a stick when they think I am not looking.  We are also blessed with lots of butterflies.  I have so far seen Orange Tip, Comma, Holly Blue, Speckled Wood, Brimstone and Peacock.  I am sure the copious amounts of Stinging Nettles and Brambles help attract them.  Hairy Hubby is always keen to strimmer them but I have saved them so far.  

Speckled Wood



Another creature we have in the hundreds is St Marks fly.  They are the most strange looking things which fly with their legs dangling and to me look like black fairies buzzing around the garden.  They don't harm anyone but in the qualities we have them they can be annoying.

A pretty bad pic of a Long Tailed Tit but it gives a good indication of the volume of St Marks fly!

There have also been lots of plants coming up, Lesser Celandine, Red Campion and Vetch although I have yet to research which type.  My wonderful Laurel tree has been blooming.  I love my Laurel tree, it is always green and lush and the birds love to sit in it before they go onto the feeders.  This does have the drawback of many of the leaves being covered in guano but for me it's a small price to pay.  I think Hairy Hubby would like to take a bottle of Dettol and a steam cleaner to it but luckily we can't afford the water!  My Bluebells finally made an appearance, they poked their little heads up just in time for lawnmower man to run them down.  Honestly that man, you have to go round the garden pointing stuff out to him every time he gets behind the wheel, he is a menace!

The leaves have really grown on the trees this past week and the wood looks dark and lush again.  The drawback is that with leaves on the trees it is much harder to see what is lurking amidst their branches.  I have noticed that the birds are eating much less seed now Spring is here, it is saving me a fortune.  I have also been putting out dog hair for them to use as nesting materials.  I find it very satisfying to sit and watch them come down and grab mouthfuls of hair to make their babies comfy.  It's not often you see a Bearded Great Tit!  I do also empty our own hairbrushes onto the grass but I notice the birds don't like The Hairy One's old hair much.  I can't think why.....

No comments:

Post a Comment