Wednesday 2 February 2011

It's a conspiracy!

We have had a Muntjac deer visiting us twice a day for the past week or so.  Apart from a couple of brief sightings I have not seen Muntjac from my window in several months.  This little fella has been coming right up to the fence, at one point he had his head and foot in the garden.  Typically I was on the phone so was not able to appreciate the moment properly.  One hand on the phone, the other on the bins is not a good viewing position.  Why do people always ring me when there is something good out of the window?  I can go days with nothing much to watch then bang the phone rings and suddenly the wildlife springs into action.  Yesterday our deer was very close to the house, just behind my Laurel tree.  I tried to take photos but my auto focus just wanted to focus on the wire fence and sadly my manual focus skills leave a lot to be desired.  I could really do with some camera use instruction actually. 

After this close encounter I thought what a nice idea it would be to put some food out for the deer and try and tempt them into the garden.  As I always do I asked Google 'What to feed Munjac deer in my garden?'  I found a couple of useless threads but came upon one with some really sage advice which I am sure would work.  It said "Go to the garden centre, buy something you really, really like, or something very expensive.  Plant it in your garden, step back and watch"  With past experience of other wildlife, I reckon that would probably work!

We have also had a Tawny Owl visit several times at night.  I often hear him but he only comes into the garden when it's Hairy Hubby's turn to put the dog out.  I hear a shout of "Oh look, big owl......too late."  Apparently it flies across the garden when the floodlight goes on so it must be sitting in one of the trees.  There is a large ivy covered one in that sort of area and I have read that Tawny's like ivy covered trees so I suspect it's that one.

I have been promised by The Hairy One that an Owl box will be made.  However with past experience I know not to hold my breath.  He never specified which decade he was going to start making it!  Maybe if a large sheet of ply was to appear very cheaply I might have a hope but I can't see him dashing off to the wood yard and buying some.  But the main point is what sort of luck do I have that the dratted bird is never there when it's me putting the dog out?  I am sure the wildlife conspires against me!


A garden resident who does not mind me seeing him!

No comments:

Post a Comment