Sunday 30 January 2011

Big Garden Birdwatch

I filled my feeders and tables with great hopes today ready to do my hour of 'Big Garden Birdwatch'.  Typically I am almost out of Black Sunflower seeds which are the favourite seed in my garden, ooops!  Note to self to get to the pet shop and buy more first thing tomorrow or there will be a lot of fed up birds out there. 

I spent an enjoyable hour with my pad and bins watching out of my back door (better all round views than in my study or kitchen)  typically the birds all buggered off somewhere just as I began but it wasn't a bad list.  There were some notable missing birds, for example where the hell are my Jays?  And only two Dunnock and two Chaffinch?  That's not normal.  I am sure they know it's "The day", it's a bit like when I used to carp fish.  You would go and check out the lake the night before the fishing season and there would be huge carp basking everywhere.  Come the next morning not one to be found.  You could sit there with your flask and sarnies all day and not get a bite.  But you just knew they were over in the reeds laughing at you "Stupid fishermen hahahahha"

I did learn a few things though.  Like its really hard to count Blue Tit and Great Tit in my Laurel tree cos it's evergreen and you just can't see how many there are let alone which species.  There was also a lovely moment where there were three Robins all sitting on one branch and the middle one, presumably a male showing off (don't they always) who threw back his head and sang his little lungs out.  It was enjoyable to do though and I think maybe (I did say maybe so don't hold me to it) I will do my own count once a month just out of interest to see how the numbers fluctuate.  Of course when I am not going to be submitting figures to anyone they will all be out tap dancing on the lawn!

The List, for anyone who wants to compare and gloat ....
  • Blackbird 5
  • Great Tit 5
  • Blue Tit 6
  • Coal Tit 2
  • Chaffinch 2
  • Robin 4
  • Long-tailed Tit 13
  • Dunnock 2
  • Pheasant 1
  • Wood Pigeon 1
  • Jackdaw 3
  • Crow 1
  • White Dove 10 (no I didn't submit that)


No comments:

Post a Comment