Thursday 3 February 2011

If you go down in the woods today...

Two entries in one day, I am surpassing myself!  After my chat with The Gamekeeper and my subsequent blog entry here I think I lasted 10 minutes before my feet forced me to go out for a walk round the Blackcurrant field.  I can't really call it the wood because I would only be walking through about 100 yards of wood.  Anyway after trying to look cool and nonchalant I grabbed my boots and went out there.

It was strange walking along the path after so long.  Like I had never been away but like it had been years.  Rather like visiting an old friend.  I walked slowly to savour the moment, stopping at the beginning of the path and just watching the birds and enjoying the sunshine.  It looked very much the same as the first time I ever went out there, which will be a year ago in March. 



I stood here for ages just looking


Last time I saw my wood she was wearing her summer clothes, decked out in shades of green and full of promise.  It's strange to think of the changes which have gone on since I last walked that path.  There has been harvest time, autumn time with falling leaves and not forgetting the snow.  I would have dearly loved to see the wood in all her colours and stages. 


The route I am allowed to take now goes through Home Wood then along the side of the blackcurrant field with the broad to your right through the trees.  Then a left turn where I like to look down the rows of blackcurrant plants to spot deer.  There were no deer today apart from a half eaten dead one which I assume had been shot.  Maybe it had just died, who knows but if it had been shot and not used for meat what a terrible wasted of a life.  At the end of the field you turn left down a lane then right back along the field again bringing you back to Home Wood.  It's not a very long walk.  I was out there about an hour today and I was walking very very slowly, stopping frequently.

One thing I have noticed about the wood is that it never fails to deliver at least one magic moment every time you go out there.  Perhaps that's why I love it so much.  Today as I walked along the path through Home Wood a female Kestrel took off from the undergrowth, with her kill still in her talons.  She took me totally by surprise, absolutely stunning and very close.  Then as I reached the blackcurrant field there were three Common Buzzard circling over the trees, crying their mewing cry.  One flew slowly towards me with the sun making it glow.  It went right over my head, I could see every detail through my bins.  Absolutely gorgeous.

I am very sad not to be able to go into the wood properly but am determined to make the most of what I am allowed to do.  Not everyone has something like that on their back doorstep so I really ought to be grateful and just enjoy it.

The reason for the ban


No comments:

Post a Comment