Thursday 24 June 2010

This blog will shortly be renamed the Butterfly Diary

I found Him on top of the feeding station again today, just pulling his head out of my squirrel proof seed feeder which was above my squirrel proof baffle with a triumphant look on his face.   By Him of course I mean Butterfly.  I could see him thinking 'I bet you would like to know how I got up here!'  The smug little critter!  I don't mind buying his breakfast but I do object to him smashing the crockery while he eats it.  I realised that the trees near the feeding station have grown quite a bit since we moved in so I moved the feeding station a few more feet away and retired to my study to watch out of the window. 

First he tried climbing the pole but was met with my first line of defence, the big, ugly, expensive baffle....


"Bah!"

Then he climbed the nearby Laurel tree and took a flying leap.  So I was right, he had been jumping!  His little arms and legs were outstretched like one of those flying squirrels from the jungle, trying to glide though the air, but he could not quite fly far enough and bellyflopped onto the ground in a most undignified manner. He sat there looking very embarrassed for several seconds before carrying on looking for dropped seed in the grass as if he had meant to do that all along.  I think I won this round...I hope!


"Who are you staring at?"

No comments:

Post a Comment