Sunday 6 June 2010

Racking up the garden ticks!

An exciting few days tickswise in the garden.  The day before yesterday I had a surprise while on the phone in the garden.  A Little Egret flew over at treetop height.  Skimming the trees in fact.  I was so shocked I screamed 'Little Egret' down my daughters ear.  She was not amused but then again she is not a birder.  Although she is well used to her mother's regular insane outbursts.  Shortly after that I spotted our first Swallows.  Better late then never, I was starting to think they were never going to find their way over this patch.

Last night while having a bonfire of decapitated Conifers a Common Tern flew up the road.  Yes, we were having a bonfire in the front garden, this family never does anything in the right place.  It was actually quite nice sitting on a chair with a can of Fosters watching the bonfire burn and the world go by.  Even better when a Common Tern goes by!  We did get eaten alive with midges.  Those of us without insect repellant fared the worst.  I was wearing three types and holding citronella incence sticks so did not suffer to much, I have found one new bite so far.  Lord knows what anyone passing would have thought of me sitting with a can of Fosters in one hand and two incense sticks in the other while having a bonfire in the front garden!

I went off to Rush Hill Scrape again today.  It was a pretty grotty day and I was dodging the showers but at least it cut down the heat haze.  There wasn't very much there, hardly anything in fact.  The star birds were two fluffy Black Headed Gull chicks which were wandering around on the mud with their parents.  I have never seen BHG chicks before so was really interested to see them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment