Friday 18 June 2010

If you go down in The Woods today.....

It was magical in the wood yesterday.   I left Action Dog behind and I am sure I saw much more without her, sorry Action Dog!  I wanted to play with my new toy (camera) and knew I could not deal with her lead and the camera at once.  I have had my bins ripped away from my eyes by her chasing a squirrel on more than one occasion so was not going to risk it with my camera.

I started as I always do by looking down each row of the Blackcurrant field.  It is very rare I don't see a deer (Muntjac and Roe) or two in there.  This was no exception and I spotted a lovely Roe Deer (I think) settled in the long grass.  Because I view them from behind the trees and bushes they don't spook too easily so I am able to get a lovely view of them when I see them.


She knows I am there

The further I got into the wood the more I noticed the smells.  In some places it was like newly laundered washing.  I can't say I have ever noticed that before.  I suppose what I was smelling was fresh clean air but it was wonderful, I wish I could have bottled it.  In other places where the sun was shining there were very herby smells from the vegetation.  It really was the smell of Mother Nature's own pharmacy.  Gorgeous!

As I walked along the shortcut to the lake I heard a commotion above me, very close.  Two Sparrowhawks were either fighting or playing, I have never been able to work out which, but they were colliding in the air making a right racket.  They were very close and it was so sudden that I did not get the camera up fast enough to capture anything but two rumps flying off.  Never mind I was primarily to see not to record.  At least thats what I told myself as I started along the path again muttering to myself.

Within three paces I was met by a very surprised Hare.  There was a junction of paths and he was happily hopping along the one which was joining mine.  He was only about ten feet in front of me when he appeared.  I was shocked how huge he was.  The size of a small dog.  Twice the size at least of Action Dog!  We both froze and stared at each other for a long moment.  I don't know who was more surprised to see the other.  Then he turned and ran full pelt away from me, I managed to get the camera up and take a picture of his rear vanishing!


Does not show his size and is certainly not his best side!

On the way back home I spotted a darling little fawn hiding in the Blackcurrant field.  He looked so small and alone.  I didn't manage to get an even half decent photo of him incase I disturbed him, he seemed so vulnerable.



The Path Home


The garden is still quiet apaft from regular visits from the Jay and we now have one little female Pheasent who comes.  Just looking outside the window I see she has a bad limp today today and her right wing is trailing a bit so something must have had a go at her in the night.  It's a tough old world out there in The Wood.  Marilyn and her Arthur are still coming, she has even been seen swimming on the new pond, we feel very honoured.  Monty the mole has made a few night time calls.  He still limits himself to under the feeders so it really does not bother me at all but Hubby is getting very fed up with him.  I can really see a Jasper Carrott moment coming soon.  As for Butterfly, well I have bought another supadupa squirrelproof feeder so we will see how long that one lasts against supersquirrel!   Oh and on the subject of Hubby he has now confessed to accidentally driving his tractor lawnmower over my rhubarb plant.  There really is no hope is there?

No comments:

Post a Comment