Wednesday 13 July 2011

Snowdrop Update

My relief was short lived.  This morning Snowdrop didn't want to get up again.  She only came out when I poked my head through the nestbox hole to see where she was.  I took the opportunity to grab her and take her indoors to give her some calcium and antibiotics.  My first time injecting a chicken.  I'm not sure who enjoyed it least, her or me.  She wriggled and I cringed.  Actually it wasn't too bad for me, I found tube feeding Perky earlier this year much more scary, probably because he was so small and fragile.  Mind you I had to put the syringe for the calcium so far down her throat to miss her tongue hole it was almost like tube feeding, and no, she didn't enjoy that either.  I think my technique is not as practiced as Owlmomma's so it must have been like being treated by a junior doctor.  Poor Snowdrop.  What really worried me was that she seemed to have a click in her lungs and a little wheeze.  It wasn't there yesterday.  All I can say is thank goodness she is on antibiotics.

When I took her back to the coop area she had a few mouthfuls off food and went back to bed till early afternoon when she got up and wandered about the garden eating and scratching as if nothing had happened.  Also I couldn't hear a wheeze or a click.  I can't make it out.  She put herself to bed early again tonight.  It's obvious things are not right but I can't work out for the life of me what is going on.  Maybe its morning sickness?  

The lovely lady from Animal Tranquility sent her more Reiki today, I'm sure its that which is giving her the afternoon boost to come out and play.  She has been so kind and supportive, she has chickens herself and knows how much they mean to their owners.  The kindness of strangers never ceases to amaze me.



No comments:

Post a Comment