Sunday 24 July 2011

Introducing The New Crew!

We went and picked up our new chooks yesterday.  In typical style nothing went smoothly, Hairy Hubby left it to the last minute to make their temporary run (again in true style) and had to go to Clacton (95 miles away) to pick up a car in the morning.  Then he was late back because he got stopped by the police on the way home because they were pulling all the vans over for a check.  THEN just as he started his phone rang and he got caught chatting for about 20 mins.  Finally we had to leave the run almost finished to leave for our 4pm appointment in North Walsham at the breeders.  After a massive Satnav moment giving us a lovely ride through every country lane between Stalham and North Walsham we finally arrived amazingly pretty much on time.

We chose four.  A Magpie Ranger who is black with a bit of white on her front, a Speckledy who is grey with a bit of white on her front, a Sussex Ranger who is pretty much a smaller version of Crazy chook and an Amber Ranger who is a creamy colour.  They are all almost at point of lay, two of them are 18 weeks and two 20 weeks.  We finally managed to get them into their new home by about 7pm so they had some time to have a drink and something to eat before bed.

At first they wouldn't go to bed, they were still scratching about about an hour after the other girls had gone up to bed.  Finally they decided to roost on top of the rabbit hutch which is their temporary home for a couple of weeks while they are in confinement.  I couldn't leave them there because they would be too vulnerable so I waited till it was almost dark and went down to pop them into the hutch.  They didn't appreciate it much and squawked madly at me, the little Amber even tried to peck me which none of my girls has ever done.  But I had to get them in there fairly sharpish before they woke up properly or I would have been chasing them round the pen and as its only four foot high that wouldn't have been fun at all.  Anyway I popped them into bed and all was quiet so I was confident they would be safe and happy for the night.

This morning they all came out ok so I hope they know where the bedroom is now although they have roosted on top of the box this afternoon for their siesta.  I had one major hiccup when I was poo picking thier bed.  I hadn't quite pulled the door of the run closed.  It was shut at the top which is the only bit I can get a grip on (The Hairy One's wonderful design has some flaws) but there was a couple of inches left gaping at the bottom and I hadn't realised.  Well the next thing I knew the Sussex and the Magpie were the wrong side of the wire.  I managed to grab the wriggling swearing Sussex quickly and pop her back with her friends but the Magpie who is the most skittish of all of them was really tricky.  In the end between the two of us we managed to herd her towards the door and she ran back in by herself.  I'm still blaming his design even though I know I am a total donut for letting it happen!

Sadly since that incident and me popping them in bed last night they now all think I am the Big Bad Wolf coming to get them if I go in their run now they hide in the corner and freak if I go near them.  I have to say I am gutted, I really want friendly hens who love me as much as I love them.  They were nervy when they arrived but not this bad, I was at least able to touch a couple of them.  I have been going down and chatting to them but they just give me bad looks as if I am public enemy No1.  Maybe things will improve when they are free in the garden or maybe they will always run away from me like Crazy Chook does.  Ex-Batts really do seem the most friendliest.

On a footnote I am slightly worried about Snowdrop, she has been fine all day but went into the coop a couple of hours ago and won't come out.  I offered her Pigeon Conditioner seed (Dove food) which is their favourite treat but she just turned her nose up which is very unlike her.  None of them can resist that seed because its someone else's dinner.   Maybe she just doesn't like to eat in bed.  I do hope so because she has been so well and happy.

L-R Speckledy, Magpie, Sussex and Amber (no real names yet)

No comments:

Post a Comment