Thursday 14 July 2011

A ray of hope

My little madam has been much more active today, out and about with the other girls, scratching and munching bugs.  She did go indoors once that I know of but it was pouring with rain so I don't blame her, I'd have gone in too if I had been out there!  It is certainly heartening to see her acting more normally even though I still have concerns about the sounds on her chest.  She hates having her injection but so far hasn't started running away from me when she sees me approaching with a towel to wrap her in!

Talking of the sounds on her chest I had a thought earlier.  I can't hear the noise at all when I am in the garden, even if she is in my arms.  You don't realise how noisy it is out there with the wind in the trees and the cars on the road at the front.  This gave me a slight ray of hope that maybe, just maybe she has always had a wheezy chest and I just didn't know about it.  Not ideal obviously but if the chest is normal for her then its not the cause of her being so withdrawn for the past few days.  That would mean that seeing her trolling around the garden as if she doesn't have a care in the world means she is getting better.  I may change my mind about all this tomorrow but at the moment its a happy thought and any happy thought is to be treasured!

The doves have been about more today, I think its due to the horrible wet cold weather.  That high roof is very exposed so they are probably much more comfortable in their nice sheltered garden.  I have said all along that they are like stroppy teenagers staying out late.  Eventually all stroppy teens realise there is no place like home and nothing like Mum's cooking.  

It's lovely to see the doves flying about and think to yourself that you knew them as little babies.  Especially Pinky because she was so tiny when I took her from her abandoned nest.  She still lets me pick her up and stroke her and has landed on my head a few times in the garden.  Daisy and May are a little more reserved but I made a point of making them more independent than I did with Pinky.  Sometimes I watch them fly and know they are doing it just for the pure joy of flying.  They swoop and dive like jet fighters, circling round the roof and over the trees.  They are getting on great with Harry, he is with them constantly.  Poor Esme I wonder what she thinks about her husband going off and leaving her with the egg.  I think I am going to have to take it away from her.  Unless she has laid another it has been far far too long and no way is it going to hatch.  The trouble is that she is always on the nest and I just don't have the heart to shoo her off and steal her little egg.  

No comments:

Post a Comment