Tuesday 4 May 2010

Rush Hill Scrape

Off somewhere new today.  Well not totally new, I went there once to twitch a Green Winged Teal a few years ago.  Rush Hill Scrape is on Hickling Broad but the other side to the reserve.  You have to go into Potter Heigham and walk through to The Weavers Way to find the hide.  It's actually a nice walk through some fields and a wood before coming out alongside a reedbed so you get a wide variety of habitat.  I saw Yellowhammer, Blackcap, Willow Warbler enroute.

It was a reasonable day when I left but as soon as I got out alongside the reedbed it was howling a gale.  Inside the hide it was blowing straight on so was very uncomfortable sitting with the flap open.  I could have really used a hat and some gloves...in MAY!  Despite frostbite and hyperthermia I managed to spot one of the published Wood Sandpipers, a Redshank and three Ruff.  There were lots of Avocet and various ducks and geese too. I stayed about an hour before running for the shelter of the wood.  The most amusing thing I saw was the poor little Wood Sandpiper staggering about in the wind.  It looked like it was going to get blown over at one point.  I have never seen that with a bird before. 

On the way back to the car I had a wonderful encounter with a Male Marsh Harrier.  I had just gone down a path beside a hedge which lined a field and saw the bird out of the corner of my eye quartering over the field.  I quickly ducked back and peeped out from behind the hedge with my bins to see the Harrier coming right at me at close range.  Wonderful stuff.  He spotted me quickly and went further away but it was a really wonderful view.  You could almost see the concentration on his face as he looked for food.

Garden news.  Hoppy the Pheasent is still hopping about painfully.  I am hoping its just an injury from a fight and it will get better in time.  Esmerelda is still my best girl. We had a nice chat this morning when I got up.  Butterfly the squirrel and I are not on speaking terms.  He raided my sunflower heart feeder early this morning and virtually cleaned it out.  I can just imagine him hanging upside down with his head stuffed down inside it scoffing all that expensive seed.  I am really cross with him because its the birds favourite feeder and that was the last of the sunflower hearts.  They will have to make do with black sunflower seeds now until I can get somewhere that sells the other stuff.  The only place I have found round here is the local boot sale at £1 a tiny bag, none of the shops seem to sell it.  I suppose that will teach me for buying my squirrel proof feeders in Lathams for £2.99.  They are seconds and the lid clips don't line up which is why the little ratbag squirrel can get the top off.  What I need is a couple of very tiny bungees to clip over the tops.  Fairy sized ones would do.  Mind you he would probably still get the tops off now he knows thats where the seed is, I swear that squirrel was a commando in a former life!

1 comment:

  1. Found your blog by accident. Made me smile at a time when I needed it. Thank you wildsue.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete