Wednesday 7 April 2010

Hickling NWT

Today I went off for my first birding trip since moving here.  I chose Hickling Broad NWT because it has a decent chance of having some birds there.  Also a loo which is always a bonus!  I can't beleive this is the first chance I have had!

Anyway on arriving I had a chat with the volunteers in the little visitors centre.  It's nothing like Rainham but then what could be??  They were very nice and helpful but told me there was basically naff all about.  Typical, the story of my life etc!  I joined the NWT so that I don't have to pay £3.50 each time I go there which as its only 10 mins up the road will hopefully be a lot.

The reserve was quiet as I was told but I was so happy to hear my first Reed Warbler of the year.  I know I saw one yesterday but somehow hearing them makes it really spring.  Them and Skylark just me such a thrill to hear.  I had a nice walk along the boardwalk, seeing Marsh Harrier and Reed Bunting as I went.  Also a lovely Kestrel which I watched for a while.  The hides were disappointing, just overlooking a deserted pool.  Well apart from a couple of Greylag and a coot.  No offence to them of course but they are not that exciting.

About half way round, right where I saw a Bittern fly over my head last time I was there I noticed that there were a lot of little birds in the trees.  I stood there for about half an hour in the end just watching them flitting about.  If there had been a bench I think I would have sat for ages.  There are never benches when you need them!  I was rewarded with a gorgeous pair of Bullfinch.  Not something I see everyday so they were very welcome.  I also saw several Willow Tit.  It took me a while to work them out, I had to wait till they started singing.  Then I was sure because a Chiffchaff which does not go Chiff Chaff is a Willow Tit in my book!  I spoke to a man a little further on who told me they had only just arrived today so that was nice.

I sat for a while in The Bittern Hide hopefully but did not manage to see one.  One had been seen today, I was even shown a photo of it.  No doubt it waited till I had left to come out tap dancing.  Cranes had also been seen from that hide today but I was not lucky, I have never seen a Crane at Hickling.  I did meet a guy who gave me his card, claiming to be a local expert on just about anything wildlife who tells me he can find me anything so who knows I may see them there!  My intention is to chat to any local birder I can to find out as much info as possible.  It never hurts to get your face known.

Not much going on in the garden today but then I have been out for most of the day so probably missed all the action...Cranes flying over, bitterns on the feeders that type of thing.  Fat Boy the Pheasent and his wives are still hoovering up anything they can find and the Mallards are getting more and more forcefull with their demands for food at my back window.  I even noticed one tapping on the conservatory door yesterday.  He obviously does not know we don't use it yet.  We heard a Woodpecker drumming yesterday evening but could not pick it up in the bins.  I am assuming it was a Great Spot but one can dream........

No comments:

Post a Comment