Monday 8 August 2011

Blossom's Posse

The newbies are settling in really well.  Too well in fact, they keep roaming all over the wood and worrying the life out of me.  They are far more adventurous than the ex-batts and Crazy have ever been.  The other day they got stuck behind the one little bit of fence we do have and couldn't work out how to get home.  The obvious answer would have been to walk round it but that soppy lot just stood there looking uncomfortable.  In the end Hairy got a lump of wood and made them a bridge!  Even that took some time for them to work out.  I suppose I have to allow for the fact that they are babies really, only about four months old so this ole world is all new to them, but they do crack me up!

The past few days Blossom (Crazy Chook) seems to have decided that the new girls are her posse and she is going to be their leader.  She hangs about with them all day.  Not during the stuck behind the fence incident I hasten to add, even she has more brains than that.  The five of them are like The A Team strutting round the garden like they own it.  I feel a bit sorry for the ex-batts who seem to be staying out of their way most of the time.  I even saw Bessie have a pop at Rosie today.  I think there are big changes on the horizon, I just hope no one starts on poor little Snowdrop (yes I do have a very soft spot) because she has been through so much already.

The good thing is that they seem to be taming down a little now.  Victoria is very friendly now and squats down in submission as soon as she sees me and lets me stroke her.  Bessie and Queenie have done it a few times too.  I even managed to pick Victoria and Queenie up today and they didn't seem too fussed about it.  Maggie however is still very much a wild child and zooms off as soon as she sees my hand move.   Maybe she and Crazy are kindred spirits because I still can't get near her either.

This ragged pile of feathers and dust is Snowdrop having a dust bath, not a dead thing on the lawn!

No comments:

Post a Comment